Jul 20, 2010

Trash & The Grouch


Let me preface this with a defensive statement-- In all of my adult life, I have never ever had a separate bill for trash collection. Never.

In Oklahoma it was included on our electric bill. I never gave it a thought. In Lake Park it was included in our tax bill. (I assume) So again I never gave it a thought. For the first 5 1/2 months in this house I never gave it a thought. And then...it happened. We got skipped. Humph. That wasn't nice. We only have pick up once a week so we had alot of extra trash coming into the following week. Guess what. We were skipped again! This time Oscar Brad was none too happy. He called the trash people and demanded an explanation. They gave him one. We aren't customers.

WHAT? We've lived here for almost 6 months and our trash has been taken every week for 6 months (minus the last 2). We asked if possibly the previous owners had paid in advance and it just ran out. They said no. They say our address isn't even in the system. What inthetrashcollectingworld is going on here. Apparently we scored free trash collection for quite some time. I don't think it is considered stealing when we didn't know we were supposed to be paying. Do you?

Another week has passed. As I type, Oscar Brad is hauling a crapload of trash to the curb AND placing a little envelope with a check enclosed under the door mat. That is our peace of mind that tomorrow morning all the trash will be taken away.
If not...the kids and I are going to have to bury it in the back yard before Brad gets home. He really (really) will lose it if we have to hang on to 3 weeks of trash. Really.
:::UPDATE:::
They took the trash. They dropped off a recycle bin. The check is still under the mat. 5 more free months? Kidding!!!

No comments: