Jun 24, 2007

Weird Weather


Today's weather has been really strange. I took this picture during a bunch of thunder and lightning...but doesn't the sky look bright and clear? It is the kind of weather that would make you turn on the news if you were in Oklahoma. Here, no big deal. But there...well my mom would be calling to say "get your shoes on." Growing up I always had to have shoes on when it was storming outside. I believe the explanation was that if there were a tornado and the house blew away- at least you would have shoes on your feet. I do miss those April storms in tornado alley. The excitement. The sounds. I miss getting to know our meteorologists. I don't know the name of a single weather guy in Charlotte. We don't watch the weather here. It's always the same. I'm NOT complaining about that by any means but I do miss the way we sat in front of the tv for an hour as Travis or Frank (aw, my Frankie...) would keep us briefed on the tornados and where they were touching ground- complete with video. That's how you make connections with those guys. That's when you build trust and loyalty with one particular station or another. I admit I do laugh at people around here. I laughed when our principal came over the intercom and gave us an excessive heat warning. (It was 90!!) She was thinking those kids were going to pass out during recess!! I also laughed about our mulitple tornado drills that they take VERY seriously here. It's great to plan...really is...but the way those kids were lined down the hallway sure looked like we were just creating a horrific wind tunnel if we actually did have a tornado. In my 4 years at Justus, we never had a tornado drill. Why would we? We had those Pryor hills to protect us...oh and that old Indian legend. What more could we ask for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please tell me that the storm we had in the early morning hours (1-3 am or so) was enough to be called a real storm! The 60 pound shivering boxer in my bed was convinced it was serious! I don't know how much rain, but it rated high on the thunder/lightning scale...and we Floridians know lightning :)

mindy said...

That was a good storm wasn't it?! It lasted a LONG time too. I wish I'd been awake for more of it. One day we'll take you guys storm chasing...You'll love it! :)