Nov 9, 2007

Whoa there Pilgrim


Andy just asked if we still had balloons. When I shook my head no he informed me that he was "going to throw a fit." What the heck? I told him to go right ahead. He shrugged and said he didn't want to. He walked away.

Nice. When did he get to the cognitive age of being able to *warn* us that he is about to evoke his fit throwing powers? How long did it take me to notice? It is game on! I can not STAND to see a kid get his way because he throws a fit. Every time you give in you have just reinforced that this behavior is not only acceptable but powerful and productive. You think you are saving yourself some grief when you are actually causing yourself future grief.

There are no super parents here. We give in and fail just like everyone else but it appears that today the youngest has made it clear that he has a solid grasp on the art of manipulation. There's no more "just let him have it because he's little and doesn't understand" mentality. There is a difference between nurturing and babying. Andy is about to learn that difference. Time to dig out those Kevin Leman books and be ready for round one.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, how I've needed a good Andy story...and a fun picture to go with!

Hope you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Mindy, you crack me up. I loved this post!!!

-Mary

Anonymous said...

I love the picture! And that story cracked me up! :o) My mom gives into my little brother's "tantrums" quite a bit. Drives me nuts! He doesn't get away with it with me. Mwah-ha-ha-ha... :op

Ashley B said...

He is so witty---wonder where he got that trait?????