Dec 12, 2007

It Is the Thought That Counts...But...


I had to really think about who has my blog address before posting this. Taken wrong it could come off as ungrateful and that is not at all what this is about. Our awesome PTO put on the annual holiday luncheon for us today. It is a festive time- the media center decked out with decorations that rival anything Martha might do. Seriously, the decor rocks. The hours they put in to transform the media center into a themed land are astounding. Phone calls are made to persuade parents come in to monitor the prisoners- I mean students- while we get an entire 60 minute lunch hour. Yes, eat your heart out we actually had 60 minutes of non interrupted lunch today.

What? You get that every day? Huh, you actually leave work for lunch? There are no milk cartons involved? Humph. You may stop reading right now because I am no longer speaking to you. Freaking business majors.

Anyway, this is the day we pretend to be real professionals and retreat for our 60 minute lunch. The sentiment is wonderful, ambiance is fabulous, company is lovely, food is...food was scrumptious. At least it probably was scrumptious when it was set out at 10:00. However, by my release time of 11:40, it is cold and possibly containing multiple strands of salmonella. I try to stick with basics and as much store purchased food as I can find. How do I know some crazed parent didn't lace the green beans with ex-lax? We insist that our students only bring prepackaged snacks but we allow any yahoo parent to cook up something with their 7 cats and serve it in a dimly lit room where the hair balls will go unnoticed.

Just a suggestion here but maybe instead of asking all these people to bring a dish they could ask them to spring $3 and cater it in? I'd be happy to chip in myself if I am going to get a hot meal that I can feel confident will not end in a toilet encore. I know I am just a peon. A measly teacher and all. But honestly- for the love of Pete- Is a 60 minute lunch -once a year- with food that would pass a health inspection really too much to ask for?

1 comment:

Ashley B said...

Just an FYI -- in defense of "we" the business majors-- if we take an hour lunch everyday we are staying 2 hours later to make it up-- also related to the "thought that counts"-- kinda like the Imitation Vanilla and Cherry Coke ;)