Mar 25, 2008

Run Through the Daisies

There are many ways this post could go. I could write some things I remember about Grandmama like how she watched The Price is Right at her kitchen table every morning. Or about how my first thought while getting a traffic ticket in high school was, "Crap. I know Grandmama heard this over her police scanner." I could write about the Reeses peanut butter cups in the fridge and how she always had Eskimo pies from the Schwan man in the freezer. I could write about how she called batteries, "battries" and kinda was "kiney" and WalMart was "WalMarx." I could write about how she would tell you all about some situation and then footnote it by saying, "but it isn't any of my business..." I could write about Christmas at her house where the tree was half undecorated and put away before the last gift was opened. Or about meeting at her house for Sunday morning coffee that was a family tradition for years- as far back as I can remember I guess. I could write about things I only heard about like how she reared 3 daughters and ran a successful business alone after my Papa died. Or about how strong she was. How she liked to travel and do a little gambling. There are many things to say about Grandmama.

Her last few weeks were tough on her but partly because she was so tough. She was determined to fight. I believe she enjoyed all of us being at the hospital together. I believe she heard us talking and laughing even when she could no longer respond. I believe she knew her girls weren't there the night she passed. I believe she wanted to spare them that experience. I believe she heard the words of "The Wonderful Cross" playing on the television. I believe she heard me tell her goodbye and I loved her and how proud I was that she was my Grandmama.

Today- on her birthday-I believe she is healthy and whole. And I definitely believe she is running through the daisies. Happy Birthday Grandmama. I miss you.

No comments: