Aug 13, 2007

Where were You?

The memory is a funny thing. I don't recall what I wore two days ago but I do remember exactly where I was when I heard Princess Diana died. I just got finished watching the special docudrama on TLC. It got me thinking of those events people always remember and can tell you exactly where they were and what was happening when they heard. For example-

Princess Diana's death- Maci was a newborn and I was up late nursing her in the living room. I was watching the news updates as they occurred. I was just certain that she would recover and take a stand against the paparazzi. When the news came, I was shocked.

JFK jr's death- Same scenario, different baby. Aaron was a newborn and we were at home- Brad's mom was visiting us. This time, I wasn't as attached. Not sure why.

OKC bombing- It was April 19, 1995- two months before Brad and I were married. It was just after 9 am and I was still in bed. My brother called to tell us to turn on the news. We did. My dad and I watched TV all day long. Unbelievable. I especially remember the red headed woman that lost both her boys and an older gentleman climbing down a ladder to safety. If you ever get a chance to go to the memorial in OKC, it is beautifully done.

OJ's verdict coming in- I was in college-commuting back and forth to NSU. We'd finished class for the day and were at lunch. Stacy and I were pulling into Sonic when they were announcing the verdict live on the radio. As we would pull under the overhangy roof thing, the radio station would cut out. So we backed up and sat in the middle of Sonic's drive to hear the verdict.

Another announcement that rocked my world was John Ritter's death. I was teaching- it was picture day and my friend and assistant Vicki just casually said, "you heard about John Ritter..?" I remember a sickening panic set in because I had not heard and was afraid to hear. In fact, I found it so unbelievable that I immediately went to the computer to verify the information. I just love John Ritter- to this day I choose ignore the facts and choose to believe he is just fine and living somewhere in LA. I know it's crazy but it helps me cope. I just LOVE John Ritter.

Just reflecting tonight...where were you when these things happened?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I sat here and tried to think about where I was with all of them and I just can't remember. Some of them collided with a really tough time in my life and I've probably just drowned them out with the rest of it. I DO remember the sinking feeling when hearing about Diana. I thought she would pull through, too. I was so sad for her boys. The OJ thing just made me mad and I'm sure it was all crazy here being in CA. I just remember the whole white bronco thing. The John Ritter news was like a punch in the stomach, too. Just didn't seem real. I DO remember 9-11. It was early here and I remember waking up early (odd for me) and thinking that the sky looked so strange that day. Minutes later, my mom called and very solemnly said to turn on the news. Madelyn was a baby and I just remember watching the smoke pouring out of those buildings thinking how scary it was to think of raising a child in the midst of this and worrying about what would happen. PLUS, we were scheduled to fly across the country at the end of the next month. I still cannot make it through the memorial exhibit at CalExpo here with a big piece of the steel and all the pictures. Being married to a firefighter just makes it all a little more raw, I think.