Jan 2, 2008

WIP- Update

Ok, here is the crafty item I promised you. I have spiced up some spiral notebooks. It is very simple and quite fun! Here it is step by step.

1-Choose some pretty paper from the scrapbooking section of a craft store. Better get several pieces because this is addicting! (Oh! and the scrapbooking supplies- including ribbon are 1/2 off at Hobby Lobby this week!!!)

2-Choose a coordinating piece of heavier card stock and some ribbon- also from the scrapbooking section. The self adhesive is great for the midline and then regular ribbon for the ties.

3-Cut the cardstock to fit the cover of your spiral. (I got a pack of 3 spirals at WalMart for under $3.00) Cut the pretty paper so that it covers 3/4 of your cardstock. Glue the paper to the cardstock.
4- Take a coordinating ribbon (self adhesive is nice) and place it over the seam of the papers. Cut a little extra so that it will secure on the back of the cardstock and not fray. If your ribbon isn't self adhesive that is ok, just use the glue stick and then secure it on the back of the cardstock with tape.
5- Accessorize the cardstock with stickers or those "spare parts" that work like brads. Use a thumbtack to poke the holes and then push it through and secure. They come in letters, shapes, designs, etc. etc.
6-Glue the cardstock securely to the front of the spiral, getting as close to the top as possible. I used a wide Elmers Glue stick. Be sure to use a little extra on the corners.

7- Cut and tie your ribbon choices all along the top spiral...this is what makes it! Then trim each with a diagonal to keep from fraying.
They turn out so cute! I also did this to a planner for myself. Maci made some for her friends using the tiny spirals. They are also adorable. Here are a few pics of our finished products....
<----Maci's tiny ones

7 comments:

Erin said...

You lost me on step 3. But I'm thinking when I hold one (maybe that pretty one with an "e") it will all come together...I'd like to make one for my sis-in-law's b-day this month!

Ashley B said...

Very cool-- I am proud of you figuring this out-- I need some craftiness help--I will have to try one under your supervision

Anna May said...

thanks for sharing...i can't wait to start making some!! :)

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

How cute! And not too difficult...I like!

Anonymous said...

Those are so cool...did the Horner's make their favorite third grade teacher one??? :)

LynntheLynx said...

I totally need one of those- They are the coolest! Your buddy Ashley has totally gotten me hooked on this blogging thing. Ashley should bring one to our Black Belt class.

Anonymous said...

Ok I would pay you to make one for me!!! I love them!!!