Sep 6, 2009

Labor Day in Progress

Here is the picture frame I stole from Pier 1. Ok, so I didn't "steal it" steal it. I just stole the idea- perfectly legal. I loved their $28 picture frame idea...so I came home and made it. I had these 3 wooden window frame mirrors hidden under the bed. You know how you shove stuff under the bed when you don't want to decorate with it anymore? Anyway, I pulled them out, removed the mirrors and voila- the perfect frame for my project!

Here are the step by step instructions-

1. Paint the frame. I used the sample of Cork that we thought we'd use on the walls. We decided it was too much for the walls but perfect for this project!
2.When the paint is dry, attach craft string to the frame using thumbtacks and a hammer. If you bend 1 (or 10) thumbtacks, don't worry...you can get a bazillion 88 cents at Wal-Mart. I hammered the thumbtacks into the wood. Pull it tight but know that it will stretch a bit too.

3. Flip it over and attach your favorite photos with cutesy clips. The clips were $2.88 at Wal-Mart- in the office supply section. I used the pictures that Taylor took of us this summer. All black and white- love them.
4. Ta-da! Here is the final project. I love love love it! Had I purchased these from Pier One the cost would have been $84. However since I stole the idea...*my* total cost was $7.93! Makes me love it even more!

3 comments:

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

Love the cool idea! Fun...so your house looks totally different then when we were there huh? Doing some color changing? Like the color choices!
-Taylo

mindy said...

Thanks Taylor. I think it is a great way to showcase your wonderful photography!! Yes, new colors everywhere...better come back for another visit. :)

Anna May said...

FABULOUS! I love love love your picture frames! Thanks for the step by step instructions...I am definitely stealing this idea from you!