Aug 10, 2012

The Challenge of Coupons


Do you coupon?  I did. Then I didn't. Now I do. Couponing can be a challenge if you really want to make a difference but if you put a little time in, the savings will be substantial.  I don't do multiple stores anymore. I stick with Target, Harris Teeter, and go couponless at Aldi for other items.   Here are a few hard fast rules for making the most of your grocery dollar.

1- Stores often put items on sale to coordinate with a current coupon.  I know it sounds too good to be true but it's the case.  So while the 2 for $4 sale on Eggo Waffles at Harris Teeter is good.  You would also want to pair that with the $1 off 2 coupon in last weeks paper.  Since HT is doing super doubles this week that means you can get boxes of Eggo Waffles for $1 each. Always look for coupons to pair with ads.

2- Buy when it is on sale, not when you need it.  No I didn't need 10 cans of black beans this week but they are on sale for .50 so why not stock up now instead of paying .90 a can later?  Same thing with meat- stock up on what is on sale and keep your freezer stocked.

3- Use the internet for resources. There are many (many) sites out there that lay the whole thing out for you.  Do a search and find a site that focuses on your store of choice.  Let someone else put in the time while you also reap the benefits.

4- Don't blow your savings with impulse buys! The grocery store people LOVE it when you do this.  Don't overpay on one item when you are there to save on something else.

5- Keep a list of your "goal prices."  I have this saved in my phone.  It helps me to know if a sale price is really a good deal or not.  I just add to the list as I find a great deal. It's helpful if you list it as a price per ounce or per roll of toilet paper etc to make sure you compare apples to apples.

Now, go clip some coupons!

No comments: