May 13, 2008

Friendly Competition

My husband is extremely competitive. If you did not know this about him then you have never played a game- board, video, card, or other with him. When he works out at the gym he will watch others speed and time on the treadmill so he knows how much faster and longer he needs to work. Seriously. I'm ashamed to admit that a little of this seems to have rubbed off onto me.

I get on the arc trainer tonight and choose to be next to the girl that appeared to be struggling. She was moving pretty slow and had 25 minutes left. So I set my timer for 30 minutes and got started- faster than her. However, at closer glance (spy) I saw she had her resistance set to 60. 60! Who does that? Mine was at 20. 20 is respectable. 60 is insane. OK, now I understood the slow factor. I can't beat the 60 but I can stay on there longer than she does. At the end of her time she hopped off and walked away. She didn't even stay to read her data. Again, who does that? Who does not stay to read exactly how far, how long, how many calories yada yada? So I did the friendly thing and read it for her. (not to her- just for her.)
Holy crap! She didn't do 30 minutes- she did 40! So you know what that means....I did 45. Brad was proud.

2 comments:

Ashley B said...

you can never pick on B rad again

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

That cracks me up! You have the guts to admit what none of us will!