Aug 3, 2006

This too shall pass...

Child #3- the one that has been to the ER twice, loves adventure, and always seems to have a scrape, bump, or bruise can now add "swallowing a penney" to his resume! He has recently become quite impressed with money. Any piece of change will do...he loves it all and has started a collection. Well this morning he came running to me saying, "Dat penney in my mouf- it went bye bye! Can you get it for me?" I said, "what?" He said, "dat penney in my mouf went bye bye- can you get it for me?" This time he had his little fingers in his mouth trying to retrieve that coin that is completely nonretrievable at this point. By now I have the jist of what's just happened and say, "gee buddy, did you swallow the penney--did you eat it?" He says "uh-huh. I did. Can you get it?" Calling the doctors office is now added to the list of things to get done this morning. In pure "Supermom" form I decide we can multitask and call while on the way to Great Clips. Getting both boys a haircut was also on the list. After all I know they are going to tell me he is fine and just "let it pass." Right? The nurse said the first thing I should do is get him something to eat and drink right away. Oh ok...didn't think of that...let me quickly swerve into Hardees. "He should eat?" I ask. She says, "yes that will tell of for certain that he can swallow and hasn't gotten it stuck somewhere." Why didn't I think of that? As I pull up to the drivethru the other kids start spouting off orders like this was a planned lunch stop! I said, " NO! This is just to make sure the penney isn't stuck- get me small fries and a sprite." This time being smart, I gave him the Sprite first. I don't want to be driving if he chokes on the fries. Sprite goes down fine. No problems....except that he spills a good portion of it on his shorts. "I pilled it Mom. Mom, I pilled it." Those are exciting words to hear coming from the back seat. I pull into Great Clips and examine the damage...it's not too bad..I'll just tell them it's Sprite so they don't freak out. By the way I gave him the fries and he seems to be just fine. We head into the Great Clips and the ladies start working on my 2 boys haircuts. The one asks about the penney situation...
"Where's the penney? Is it in your stomache?"
"Nope."
"I bet it is."
"I bet its not."
"I bet it is."
"I bet its not."
That went on for awhile longer. Lady, don't argue with the kid. He ate a penney. Do you think he has the knowledge to know where it went from there? However, I am quite sure they got the last laugh as I herded my circus crew out of there after the haircuts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:oO
Oh no! Hopefully, it will pass through smoothly!