Sep 3, 2012

Leftover Burlap Becomes Bulletin Board

This little project was pretty exciting for me.  I saved a wad of cash and got something even better than my original want.

I saw a framed bulletin board at Hobby Lobby for $70 on Saturday.  Now, I would never pay that but I was considering the $35 when it went 1/2 price.  Ya'll know that you never pay full price at Hobby Lobby because everything goes 1/2 off sometime. Right?  But because I am a little cheap frugal, I decided to wait on it.  I'm so glad I did because as luck would have it, I came across a pinterest pin using burlap to make your own bulletin board.  Ding! Ding! Ding! Lightbulb moment!  There is this huge painting I stuck in the attic that would be the perfect frame.  Always always always keep your old decorating stuff so you can "shop the house" and repurpose things later.  Here is the picture in it's original form-
I pulled off the paper backing and popped out the print.  This was a steal at $10 from Old Time Pottery a few years ago.  It was a steal because the frame is heavy, sold wood, and it is huge.  I never was crazy about the picture but it served a purpose for a time.  

I covered the back of the picture with cork from Lowes ($10) and trimmed the excess.  Then I covered the cork with the leftover burlap.  I wrapped it around and secured it every few inches with my arsenal of choice, the glue gun.  If you don't get at least 3 first degree burns from your glue gun, you aren't really crafting. Tip: the cork is THIN. You may want to use the cork from an actual bulletin board that you tear a part.  The price is about the same. 

Pop it back into the frame and then use a staple gun to secure. 
 Then I found a hot guy with tools to change the hooks for me. The painting went horizontal but I needed the bulletin board to hang vertical. 

It's really helpful if that same hot tool guy will hang the board for you.  

Done. The $70 bulletin board for $10 plus leftover frame and leftover burlap. 
Labor Day weekend is over so I'll be taking a craft break now...but then again...there are so many ideas on pineterst...I may have to sneak in one or two more in the next few days. 




No comments: